Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

From Fred

    I mistakenly assumed at the outset that the BIG GAME was Michigan St.-Notre Dame, a game that I missed because, I too, go to be at 9 p.m.

    Gene Chizik and Brian Kelly are forever wedded in my less-than-nimble mind.  At precisely the same moment I read in the local paper that Brian Kelly was departing my beloved CMU for Iowa St., Iowa St. was announcing it selection of Chizik.

    Kelly went to Cincinnati instead.  He dumped them for Notre Dame like Chizik dumped Iowa St. for Auburn.  The difference is that Kelly left behind two conference championships and an appearance in the Orange Bowl.

    Kelly is an incredible coach.  He has built a program, not just a team, everywhere he's been.  At the end of last season his three teams had a combined record of 35-5; Grand Valley St., 12-1; Central Michigan, 12-2; and Cincinnati, 11-2.  I expect the same at Notre Dame.  Besides, he's an Irish Catholic.

    I'm not a Notre Dame fan (or an Irish Catholic fan), but I do find myself humming their fight song every now and then.

    Thanks for sharing.  It was great fun.


ASFTS responds: My cousin who teaches in Singapore told me there’s no need to waste time watching these games. Since Singapore is 17 hours ahead of Iowa, all I have to do is e-mail him and he’ll tell me the scores well before the games even begin. Might be a good thing. By the way, he said Central by a field goal at Evanston this weekend. Hope this doesn’t spoil it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment